Saturday, March 2, 2013

Children’s HopeChest APC Part 1

Hello blog world! Long time no see;) I was hoping to get this written in the beginning of the week but, as you all know, life happens…well, in my case surgery happened! Which brings me to my disclaimer: I may or may not be writing under the influence of Percocet. I’m not sure if this is legal in the state of Texas but this blog can’t wait another day. Just keepin’ it real, folks!

If you’ve followed our story, you know that we have been looking for a way to serve long-term in Ethiopia. It began as a means to stay connected to Little Krause’s homeland but over time God has taken it much deeper than that. He began to break us for the people of Ethiopia and I mean, break. It is a heavy, physical weight we feel deep in our souls. You can read more about one of these God interventions here.

Through prayer and circumstance, we found ourselves invited to Children’s HopeChest’s Africa Partners Conference.

The APC was being held in Colorado and there was just no way we would be able to afford it…right? Out of curiosity I got on Southwest and checked the flights. $48!?! The conference itself wasn’t expensive and it included meals…“Lord, do you want us to do this thing?” As I have mentioned before, I have become certifiably crazy and even though I am married to the frugal Ryan Krause, I did it. I booked the flights and the conference. Then, I kid you not, 5 minutes later I got a text from Ryan saying, “This is CRAZY. I just got a Groupon for the hotel where that conference is being held! $50/night with meal credits!”

Of course this made it much easier for me to confess my impulsive actions just prior to his text. Once again, God WOWed us. He left no room for doubt that He was sending us to Colorado for a divinely scheduled appointment!

Before I knew it the trip was upon us. All of a sudden I started to freak out about flying without my kids. I’d never done it before…ohmagosh, what if we crash and leave our own kids as orphans! It was ridiculous, I was ridiculous. I even left letters to each of them. Just.in.case. I sat in the airport early that morning completely and irrationally anxiety ridden. Ryan must have seen through my distracted head nods and distant laughs. He lovingly reminded me that this was God’s idea and I needed to get a grip.

Oh yeah. This WAS His idea. It’s in times such as these I know God rolls his eyes at me. I grabbed my phone and opened my YouVersion Bible app. Have you ever flipped open your Bible in hopes of receiving a quick “word” from the Almighty? Well, I did it IPhone style and HE DID NOT DISSAPPOINT!!  This was the Verse of the Day for February 20, 2013:

Defend the weak and the fatherless;

uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.

Rescue the weak and the needy;

deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Psalm 82:3-4

I became a bumbling, hot mess right there in the Austin airport. Who in the WORLD am I? What have I ever done to deserve such intimacy with my Creator? It blows my ever loving mind. He reached down from His throne and reminded me of the call He has placed on our lives. He didn’t mince words or beat around the bush, He gave a holy command.

The peace that washed over me was immeasurable. This is how God loves and this is how He equips those so unworthy of such a call. This is why our answer will always be yes. As I’m typing this, I just realized I was humming: “Oh, how marvelous! Oh, how wonderful! And my song shall ever be: Oh, how marvelous! Oh how wonderful, is my savior’s love for me…”

Ok, I’m fading…Part II coming soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment