Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Marriage Talk

For the past few years at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) we have had a “Favorite Things” meeting. Think Oprah but on a much smaller budget. Each mom has to wrap and bring the one thing she cannot live without. Well, this particular week was cRaZy at the Haus of Krause so when Friday rolled around I had completely forgotten about my “thing”. As I have already told you, my man is my most favorite thing and I most certainly was not going to give him away. I decided to sit down and quickly type up a few tips that work for us, things that help keep our marriage feeling new and solid. I printed it out, folded it neatly and taped it shut. This is exactly how it made it’s way to the table covered with 60+ of the most beautifully wrapped packages I had ever seen (most of us have degrees from Pinterest University). Needless to say, the folded piece of paper was the last one standing.

I can only imagine the things going through the mind of the poor, sweet MOP who was stuck with the neglected “thing”. I started to get really nervous. I just knew all 60+ of those women were feeling sorry for her. I jumped up feeling the need to explain why I had only brought that ugly sheet of paper and swearing that I had included a restaurant.com gift certificate!! I then proceeded to read the Marriage Tips out loud.

If you know anything about me, you know I am not shy, not in the least bit. I have absolutely no problem speaking or singing in front of huge crowds of people. BUT, that morning standing in front of those Pinterest Masters, I felt so ridiculous. Why hadn’t I remembered my FAVORITE THING!? Now, here I was with this last minute, silly SHEET OF PAPER.  Do you know my hands were even shaking as I read it! WHAT IN THE WORLD?? (Do you see what you women do to flakes like me;)  Funny thing happened though, they loved it! Several of them have been asking for a copy and my friend even asked if I would consider speaking on it (hilarious)…hmmm, maybe! 

So, in the spirit of Valentines Day, I though it would be fun to share my silly, last minute tips. It’s the very condensed version but you’ll get the point. Here’s to marriages everywhere, HAPPY HEART DAY, FRIENDS!

~Keepin’ It Real~

*Make him feel strong, capable, give him some affirmation! Encourage him, build him up, Tell him how devastatingly handsome he is, let him know he is your hero.

*Always cuddle, don’t let the distance grow between you when you sleep.

*RESPECT HIM

*Compliments of Steve Leavitt: Get under his umbrella, LET HIM LEAD!!

*Keep up your appearance! Look good for your man! Shave your legs, put on makeup, dress for him, make sure you look GOOD when he comes home, not because he expects it, but because you love him!

*ALWAYS be on his side especially in front of your children!

*Open Communication, be honest, tell him how you feel, don’t just say “Nothing” when he asks what’s wrong)

*Establish clear boundaries to safeguard your marriage!! Rules you refuse to break!

*Date each other. Carve out alone time, plan dates. Your children are important but the greatest gift you can give your children is a mommy and daddy who are still crazy in love!

*CHOOSE to love him, even when the butterflies aren’t there, when you’re not “feeling it”!

*Spend time in God’s Word! You can’t help but shine when you’ve been in His presence and there is nothing more beautiful on a woman!

*Pray for your husband, pray, pray, pray!!!! (Power of a Praying Wife is an excellent book)

*Keep your love life exciting (yes, THAT is EXACTLY what I mean)

*Jesus Christ is the glue that binds, HE holds our marriage together! As you both move towards Him, you will naturally grow closer to one another!

xoxo Happy Valentine’s Day xoxo

Brit

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment